The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has adopted a new package of rules, referred to as Regulation Best Interest or Regulation BI, that a... Read this article »
Account Security & Protection
When it comes to your security and protection, not all IRA service providers are created equal.
As an IRA custodian, PENSCO is a highly-regulated non-depository trust company that is permitted to custody assets in an IRA. Both state and federal government agencies provide oversight to custodians, and there are stringent policies, procedures and internal controls in place. As a regulated entity, we’re required to maintain certain coverages as well. Our operational processes and procedures are also subject to regular audit and examination.
Other providers offering IRA services – like administrators and facilitators – are not subject to direct regulatory supervision. Unlike custodians, they don’t have regulatory bodies ensuring their financial stability, the safety of their customer funds or the efficacy of their security controls.
For your peace of mind, it’s important that the service provider you choose to hold your IRA is regulated and in good standing. If a custodian is not accredited, there is no guarantee they have met these standards and you could be more susceptible to fraud. Check out our section on ‘Choosing an IRA Custodian’ for a complete checklist on performing due diligence on your custodian.
PENSCO is committed to maintaining the highest level of integrity in our industry and have designed our business practices to protect our clients. Keeping your personal data and account information secure is a top priority. To guard against unauthorized access to your account and to keep your personal information safe we:
- Protect your personal information behind firewalls and encryption technology.
- Do not sell your personal information to anyone.
- Go beyond login ID and password before allowing you to access your account with Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). If unauthorized activity is suspected, PENSCO will ask you for additional information before allowing you to access your account.
- Use advanced encryption technology to allow you to safely communicate via pensco.com.
- Continually train all employees to be vigilant when handling personal and financial information.
Here are tips you can follow to help safeguard your information and prevent unauthorized access to your account:
- Make sure the contact information that PENSCO has on file for you, including your name, address, phone number and email address, are always correct and up-to-date.
- Register for online account access to regularly monitor your account. Report any suspicious activity to PENSCO immediately.
- Change your account password on a regular basis. For general tips on how to create a secure password, check out our blog.
- Register for electronic statements to avoid lost or stolen paper statements. Call us at (800) 962-4238 to request electronic statements if you do not already receive them.
- Follow security protocols by keeping your personal computer updated with the latest operating system, internet browser and software. Also be sure to install anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
- When logging on to your account outside of your home, be cautious when using public computers and only log on to wireless networks that you trust.